Atlantic Health System’s commitment to providing LGBTQ+ patient-centered care has been recognized by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation. HRC’s Healthcare Equality Index named all of Atlantic Health System's medical centers (Morristown, Overlook, Newton, Chilton and Hackettstown medical centers and Goryeb Children’s Hospital) as Leaders in LGBTQ+ Healthcare Equality. This index measures patient non-discrimination, equal visitation rights, employment non-discrimination, and training in LGBTQ+ patient-centered care.
Health Care Rights in The LGBTQ+ Community
- The Affordable Care Act (ACA) prohibits most health providers and insurance companies from committing sex discrimination, including anti-transgender discrimination, and discrimination based on race, national origin, age and disability.
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) protects patients’ privacy when it comes to certain health information, including transgender status and transition. It also gives patients the right to access, inspect and copy their protected health information held by hospitals, clinics and health plans.
- State and local nondiscrimination laws prohibit health care discrimination against transgender people in many circumstances. A large number of states also have explicit policies that prohibit private insurance companies and Medicaid from committing anti-transgender discrimination, like excluding transition-related care. See a list of New Jersey State policies and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania state policies. Please view the Health Care Action Center for other state’s policies.
- Medicare and Medicaid regulations protect the rights of hospital patients to choose their own visitors and medical decision-makers regardless of their legal relationship to them. This means that hospitals cannot discriminate against LGBTQ+ people or their families during visitation or when recognizing a patient’s designated decision-maker.
- Joint Commission hospital accreditation standards require hospitals to have internal policies prohibiting discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation.