Overlook Medical Center
Overlook Medical Center strives to deliver high-quality, patient-centered, evidence-based care in a healing culture environment that promotes the health and safety of our patients, community, health care partners and staff.
Our nursing team leads and promotes excellence in care delivery.
Overlook Medical Center achieved Magnet designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the highest national honor for nursing excellence, as a reflection of Overlook’s nursing professionalism, teamwork and superiority in patient care.
Nursing at Overlook Medical Center is based on a commitment to:
- Patients –
- Guided by Dr. Kristen Swanson’s Theory of Caring, we take a patient- and family-centered approach along each step of the continuum of care.
- Health care delivery teams –
- We believe in building collaborative relationships with health care partners that are based on open communication, transparency and accountability. Amongst our own team, we encourage ongoing professional development and recognize those who excel.
- Community –
- Our nurses address the needs identified in Atlantic Health System’s Community Health Needs Assessment and actively volunteer in outreach activities.
Nurses of all levels at Overlook Medical Center share in the decision-making process through a councilor structure and are accountable for both their practice and practice environment.
Professional Practice Model
Represented by a nautical anchor, our professional practice model defines the components of nursing in a way that brings significance to our daily work and unifies nurses throughout every department. It follows Kristen Swanson’s Theory of Caring, which consists of five processes – knowing, being with, doing for, enabling and maintaining belief. It also takes into account our own C.A.R.E. model:
- Commitment to professional values and relationships
- Accountability through shared decision making and transformational leadership
- Recognition of professional development
- Excellence in nursing and patient care delivery
Centers of Excellence
Nursing plays a vital role in The Joint Commission Disease Certifications received at Overlook Medical Center. We currently hold Center of Excellence status in bariatrics, spine care, wound care, comprehensive stroke care, endoscopy, and total hip and knee replacement. See all of our awards and certifications >