If your child is having neurosurgery at Goryeb Children’s Hospital at Morristown Medical Center, pre-procedural testing must be completed within 10 to 14 days before the date of the surgery. Once you have scheduled the procedure, your primary care physician, your surgeon or the scheduling department will contact you to discuss the necessary preparations:
- Schedule an appointment with your primary care physician two weeks before the surgery to obtain medical clearance.
- Do not allow your child to have food or fluids after midnight the night before their procedure. This varies by age of the patient and specific instructions will be provided.
- Shower or bathe and shampoo your child’s hair the night prior to surgery.
- Plan to arrive at the hospital approximately two hours before the procedure time so our medical team can properly prepare your child for surgery.
- Bring a list of your child’s current medications and drug allergies. If he or she takes aspirin, anti-inflammatory medications or blood thinners, please follow the instructions provided by your child’s primary care physician or specialist, such as the cardiologist, for stopping these prior to surgery.
- Take your insurance card, photo identification and any computed tomography (CT) scan and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) films with you to the hospital.
- Pack a bag with clothing, toiletries and any special items for your child. Parents are welcome to remain with their children during the postoperative hospitalization and should pack items as needed.
Follow the physician’s postoperative discharge instructions as directed and call your child’s physician if they experience any of the following symptoms:
- Fever over 101 degrees
- Signs of infection
- Pain or swelling at the incision
- Excessive drainage or bleeding from the incision
- Continued headache, nausea or vomiting
Caring for the unique physical, psychological and social needs of adolescents and teenagers takes special skills. As part of Atlantic Health System Children’s Health, we have medical specialists here who provide superior pediatric care that is specific to your child’s needs, while also respectful of every family’s values.
Request More Information
Please use the form to request more information.
All fields are required.
Please note that this form is for North American residents only.