Recovery challenges can be common after critical illness. Our team is here to help during your recovery journey.
Whether your time was at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at Morristown Medical Center or other ICUs, the Atlantic Post ICU Care Center can help. We are the only hospital in the state that offers a post ICU recovery center.
Patients that have experienced an ICU hospitalization for critical illness at any hospital are eligible. We provide care, support and resources for patients and their families experiencing symptoms related to critical illness.
Services Offered at the ICU Recovery Center
Our goal is to create a plan for your recovery. Empowering you and your family member, caregiver or loved one with the resources, and support you will need to navigate this journey.
- Coordination and referrals to primary care, subspecialty services, physical and occupational therapy
- Medication review with pharmacist
- Assistance obtaining medical equipment, oxygen, or non-invasive ventilation
- Educational resources on physical, cognitive, emotional and daily living issues experienced by ICU survivors
- Behavioral health consultations for sleep disturbances, stress management, smoking cessation, psychological distress
- Resources and support for caregivers and family members
- Referral to local assistance programs
What can I expect during my evaluation visit?
An initial evaluation will be individualized for each patient, but it is likely to include the following:
- Review of ICU course and related medical problems
- Screening spirometry and six minute walk test
- Medication review and counseling
- Screening for cognitive changes, depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Thrive: ICU Survivors Peer Support Group
Survivors of critical illness and their adult family members and caregivers can connect with others who are experiencing similar challenges during recovery. The group is led by social work staff and a peer lived experience volunteer. Thrive is meeting virtually via secure videoconferencing. Please call 973-971-5699 to register at least one week prior to your first day attending the group.
Ongoing COVID Recovery Care
Some patients who recover from COVID-19 have persistent symptoms, which can affect multiple areas of the body.
The Atlantic COVID Recovery Center was established to effectively manage the health and recovery needs of patients experiencing complications 30 days after having the virus.