Atlantic Health System Neuroscience offers advanced neurosurgical diagnostic and treatment procedures at both Morristown Medical Center and Overlook Medical Center.
Our departments feature the Artis zee®, state-of-the-art biplane neuroangiography technology. Where traditional brain x-rays require multiple dye injections and sets of photos, the biplane creates a three dimensional image of the brain with each dye injection, greatly simplifying the task of defining abnormalities and planning treatment. Not only are the images far superior to standard x-rays, but the patient requires fewer dye injections, minimizing risk and discomfort.
- Intra-operative angiography
- – X-ray dye is injected into brain arteries during brain surgery to provide real time, immediate feedback to the surgeon, helping to improve accuracy and outcomes.
- Intracranial angioplasty and stenting
- – Narrowed brain arteries (stenosis) can lead to stroke. Feeding a catheter into the narrowed artery, opening the narrowed segment with a tiny balloon, and then keeping the artery open with a metal tube (stent) can increase blood flow and decrease the chances of a stroke.
- Carotid angioplasty and stenting
- – Significant narrowing of the carotid artery can substantially increase the risk of stroke. These procedures help treat patients diagnosed with carotid stenosis who cannot undergo surgery, such as those with severe heart disease and those who have had prior carotid artery surgery.
- – Coils, balloons, beads and adhesives are used to block off the blood supply to an artery, either obliterating the abnormality (aneurysm, vascular malformation, some tumors), or greatly decreasing its blood flow, minimizing the risk and difficulty of definitive surgery.
State-of-the-art, minimally invasive endovascular therapies treat certain neurovascular conditions from inside the blood vessel via a catheter. Atlantic Neuroscience Institute’s interventional neuroradiology specialists and neurosurgeons were among the first in the area to use many of these techniques.
Performed in our neuroangiography suite by endovascular specialists, endovascular therapies can eliminate the blood vessel abnormalities (aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations) responsible for many bleeds into the brain as well as narrowing of the carotid artery (carotid stenosis) responsible for many strokes. Endovascular therapies also treat the narrowing of brain arteries (vasospasm) that can cause secondary strokes and repair narrowing or blockages of arteries feeding the brain.
Morristown Medical Center
Overlook Medical Center
99 Beauvoir Avenue
Summit, NJ 07901
- Daily, 8:00am to 4:30pm
- 99 Beauvoir Avenue