Atlantic Health System Neuroscience's neuroradiology services can diagnose diseases of the brain, head, neck and spine, including:
- Conditions caused by trauma
- Congenital abnormalities
- Diseases of the blood vessels
Neuroradiology Diagnostic Services
- – This imaging technique is used to produce images of the blood vessels and other key areas of the body, including the brain
- Biplane neuroangiography
- – Where traditional brain x-rays require multiple dye injections and sets of photos, the biplane creates a three dimensional image of the brain with each dye injection, greatly simplifying the task of defining abnormalities and planning treatment.
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- – MRI uses a magnetic field and pulses of radio wave energy to produce vivid photographs of the brain.
- Positron emission tomography/computed tomography
- – PET/CT combines the data from two scans into one comprehensive image, allowing physicians to quickly and more accurately identify neurological and brain disorders. Morristown Medical Center also offers 64-slice CT scans for diagnosing patients with neuro trauma.
- Single photon emission computed tomography
- – SPECT helps determine where a seizure originates in the brain by measuring blood flow in different areas.
- – An X-ray is a noninvasive medical test that helps physicians diagnose and treat medical conditions.
Additional Neuroradiology Services Available at Overlook Medical Center:
- 320-slice Aquilion One CT scan
- – The most advanced CT scanner available, it scans the entire brain in seconds with the lowest radiation dose of any CT scanner to produce advanced CT angiography and perfusion studies rapidly, which speeds diagnosis and treatment for patients.
- 4D CT angiography with perfusion
- – Dynamic imaging, using contrast media, allows us to view continuous 4D (similar to video) real-time images of the heart and brain.
- Advanced MRI techniques
- – 3T MRI, functional MRI and MRI with diffusion tensor and perfusion imaging allow us to clearly see critical brain structures in great detail.
- PET/CT with Cortex-ID™
- – Helps detect Alzheimer’s disease; this computer program enables our clinicians to compare a patient’s brain PET/CT scan to a database of age-matched normal subjects to check for abnormalities.