Positron emission tomography (PET) is a type of nuclear medicine imaging that produces a three-dimensional image of functional processes in the body. At Atlantic Health System, we combine PET and CT scans to create one comprehensive image, which provides both anatomic and metabolic information. This allows our physicians to quickly and more accurately identify cancer, and more recently, heart disease and brain disorders.
Preparing for a PET or PET/CT Scan
- You may be asked to wear a gown during the exam or you may be allowed to wear your own clothing.
- Women should inform their physician or technologist if there is any possibility that they are pregnant or if they are breast feeding.
- Leave metal objects including jewelry, eyeglasses, dentures and hairpins at home or remove them prior to your exam; you may also be asked to remove hearing aids.
- Following injection with radioactive nuclide, you will be asked to relax for one to two hours prior to your scan. You may bring reading material if you decide to stay on site during this time.
- To avoid delays, remember to bring a copy of your prescription.
PET/CT Scan Results
Atlantic Health System's radiologists are experts in supervising and interpreting radiology examinations. They will interpret your PET/CT images and send a signed report to your primary care physician or the physician who referred you for the exam.
PET/CT services may vary by location. Please confirm when booking an appointment.
Chilton Medical Center
Positron Emission Tomography and Computed Tomography (PET/CT)
97 West Parkway
Pompton Plains, NJ 07444
- Wednesdays, 7:00am to 6:00pm
- Chilton Medical Center is currently providing essential medical imaging services to outpatients on an as needed basis. Medically necessary (as determined by your physician) imaging procedures should be scheduled by calling 973-831-5227. These necessary services will be provided from 7am to 3pm weekdays. The East Entrance at Chilton Medical Center is currently closed for walk-in patients.
- 97 West Parkway
Hackettstown Medical Center
Morristown Medical Center
Overlook Medical Center
310 Madison Avenue