Those with head and neck cancer may experience difficulties with swallowing, voice quality, speech and jaw mobility either as a result of the cancer or the methods used to treat it. To help these patients maintain a productive life, Atlantic Rehabilitation provides evaluation, education and therapy before, during and after cancer treatment.
Our head and neck cancer rehabilitation services include:
- Humidification of the mouth and throat
- Laryngectomy tube fittings
- Electrolarynx, or assistive-speaking device, training
- Pre-laryngectomy education
- Vocal and respiratory rehabilitation
Often during pre-education, we will loan patients an electrolarynx so they can feel comfortable speaking with the device prior to having surgery. This helps to decrease anxiety and improve the patient’s state-of-mind about their long-term rehabilitation.