Robotic surgery has proven successful in helping surgeons perform general procedures on vital organs within the gastrointestinal system and the confined spaces of the pelvis. In fact, the precision of robotic surgery has allowed doctors to perform some pelvic surgeries laparoscopically that otherwise could not be safely performed with traditional laparoscopy.
At Morristown Medical Center, Overlook Medical Center and Chilton Medical Center, we use the da Vinci® Surgical System to perform complex colorectal procedures, such as abdominoperineal resection (APR) and low anterior resection (LAR).
Additional robotic surgeries available at Morristown Medical Center:
- Advanced hepatobiliary procedure
- Complex hernia repair, such as:
- Inguinal hernia
- Paraesphogeal hernia
- Ventral and incisional hernia
- Ventral hernia with component separation
- Distal pancreatectomy
- Gallblader surgery – single-site (single incision) cholecystectomy
- Right colectomy with intracorpeal anastomosis
- Sigmoid resection
Potential benefits of robotic surgery include:
- Less scarring, blood loss and pain
- Shorter hospital stay
- Quicker recovery time and return to daily activities
- Decreased risk of infection
Robotic Surgery for Cancers and Tumors
Robotic surgery offers cancer patients a minimally invasive alternative to open surgery and in some cases, may minimize or eliminate the need for chemotherapy and radiation therapy.