Morristown Medical Center’s Trauma Center is verified as a Level I Regional Trauma Center by the American College of Surgeons and designated a Level II by the state of New Jersey.
The most severely injured patients are brought to us by ambulance or helicopter. They are welcomed by our Luciano Family Trauma and Acute Care Center trauma team, which can quickly diagnose and treat life-threatening injuries.
This team may consist of:
- A trauma surgeon
- Surgical and emergency medicine residents
- Registered nurses
- Respiratory therapists
- Radiology staff
- Pediatric intensivists and residents (if the patient is a child)
- A social worker (to assist with family notification)
Once all injuries are identified, we develop a plan of care and consultants are contacted. Trauma-trained orthopedists, neurosurgeons and plastic subspecialists assist our trauma team in patient care. In addition, there is an on-call roster of board-certified subspecialists immediately available when activated by the primary trauma team, in fields such as spine surgery, urology, vascular surgery, pediatric surgery, hand surgery, interventional radiology and cardiology.
Morristown Medical’s Surgical Critical Care and Trauma Services have one goal: to return the patient to the highest level of functioning. We have been providing excellent patient outcomes for more than 10 years, offering the highest level of care and injury prevention efforts. We also provide rehabilitation evaluation and services.
What to Expect in the Intensive Care Unit
- First Time Seeing Your Loved One in the ICU
- Virtual Bedside Visits via Zoom
- Your Role in Making Health Care Decisions & Understanding the Daily Plan of Care
- What to Expect when Transferring from the ICU
- Going Home and Recovery from Critical Illness
- After the ICU Guide – Resources and information to help you and your family thrive after a critical illness
Thrive: ICU Survivors Peer Support Group
Survivors of critical illness can connect with others who are experiencing similar challenges during their recovery. This group, which is led by a clinical social worker, meets on the fourth Wednesday of every month from 6:30 to 8:00pm at Morristown Medical Center Outpatient Medicine, Third Floor Conference Room. Adult caregivers and family members are welcome to attend.
Please call 973-971-5699 to register at least one week prior to your first day attending the group.