Chilton Medical Center recognizes that patients and caregivers are essential partners in our mission to provide the safest and highest quality care possible. If you or a family member recently received medical attention at our hospital, we encourage you to volunteer as a Patient and Family Advisor and help us improve the hospital experience for everyone.
Patient and Family Advisor Responsibilities
- Share your story –
- Either one-on-one or as part of a larger discussion group, advisors talk about their health care experiences with our clinicians, staff and other patients and propose solutions to common problems.
- Create or review educational materials –
- Intake forms, discharge instructions and health information handouts can help patients better understand their care.
- Work on short- and long-term projects –
- Advisors sometimes provide input on renovations and other hospital enhancements.
- Serve on an advisory council –
- Patients, families and hospital staff meet to discuss ways we can improve quality and safety.
Who Can be a Patient and Family Advisor?
If you or a family member received care at Chilton Medical Center in the last two years and you are 18 years of age or older, you are eligible to join our team of Patient and Family Advisors. No special qualifications are required, but we do ask that you agree to some basic guidelines:
- Meet all adult hospital volunteer requirements
- Attend quarterly meetings and commit to one to two hours of your time per month
- Serve as an advisor for a minimum term of one to two years
- Be honest about your experiences and share suggestions for improvement
- Work with people who may be different from you
- Listen to and think about what others say, even when you disagree
- Bring a positive attitude to discussions
- Keep any information you hear as an advisor confidential
Chilton Medical Center Auxiliary
If you enjoy fundraising, spreading holiday cheer, crafting meal tray favors or making hand-made items for patients, becoming a member of the Chilton Medical Center Auxiliary may be right for you.