Volunteers are a vital part of Newton Medical Center, helping us enhance the patient experience and provide high-quality care. Our hospital is a professional, welcoming workplace and we treasure those who donate their time with us.
Areas of Volunteer Service**
- Guest Services and Patient Access Assistants
- – Greet and assist patients, visitors, and vendors as they arrive to the facility and escort them to their destination. Assist the front desk staff with deliveries of flowers, gifts, patient belongings and newspapers to patient rooms. Maintain a clean and customer friendly environment in the hospital lobby.
- Patient Care Center Assistants
- – Assist hospital staff with non-clinical tasks in our inpatient, and outpatient settings including the Emergency Department. Tasks may include stocking supplies, assembling admission packs, visiting patients, distributing fresh drinking water, offering comfort items to patients such as books/magazines, blankets, puzzles, and more.
- Surgical Waiting Room
- – Assist Surgical Services staff with non-clinical tasks and serve as the waiting room receptionist by greeting patients and family members, perform clerical duties, direct patients and families, and offer comfort items to those waiting.
- Pet Therapy
- – Assist with visits from pet therapy dogs to help patients feel right at home.
- Coffee Cart Assistants
- – Serve light refreshments, cookies and fruits to patients and families
- Bee Hive Thrift Shop
- – Work as a clerk in the store owned and managed by the Newton Medical Center Auxiliary; located at 123 Spring Street in Newton, NJ
- Spiritual Care Volunteers
- - Assist the Spiritual Care staff through patient and family visits and phone calls, clerical duties, and special project such as religious holidays and events promoted through the Spiritual Care Department.
**Areas of volunteer service may be restricted at any time, as needed.
Hospital Volunteer Requirements
- Complete our online volunteer application and agreement
- Obtain two letters of reference
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Commit to a minimum of 3-4 hours per week for a period of at least 6 months. Shifts are available Sunday through Saturday from 6:00am to 8:00pm
- All adult volunteers must be fully vaccinated against COVID19 (1st, 2nd, and booster COVID 19 vaccine).
- Applicants will not be accepted without proof of vaccinations and medical requirements
* Applicants will be contacted for an interview only if there is a volunteer opportunity available.
Other Volunteer Assignments
Volunteers may find additional opportunities within our cardiovascular, occupational therapy, physical therapy, pastoral care and community benefit departments. Sometimes we also need assistance with courtesy vehicles and in our mailroom, storeroom, foundation, and business office.