If a child has a neuromuscular disorder, he or she may show signs of weakness, low muscle tone or delayed motor skills. Goryeb Children’s Hospital’s Neuromuscular Program can help these pediatric patients improve their mobility and basic skills for daily living.
Pediatric neuromuscular disorders that we treat:
- Muscular dystrophies – inherited conditions that cause muscles to become progressively weaker with time
- Channelopathies – causes loss of muscle function or weakness; also called ion channel disorders
- Myopathies – muscle fibers do not work as they should, resulting in weakness and stiffness
- Myositis – inflammation and swelling of the muscles
- Neuropathies, such as Guillain Barre Syndrome – autoimmune disorders that result in muscle weakness or paralysis
- Motor neuron disease – signals from the brain stop reaching muscles, causing them to become weak and stiff
- Neuromuscular junction disorders, such as myasthenia gravis and botulism – autoimmune diseases that cause voluntary muscles, such as eye lids, to weaken
Our program is the only one in New Jersey dedicated solely to the treatment of pediatric neuromuscular disorders, and we are one of the few places in the country that offers a specialized muscle ultrasound as part of the diagnostic process.
As part of Atlantic Health System Children’s Health, we have medical specialists here who provide superior pediatric care that is specific to your child’s needs, while also respectful of every family’s values. Physician services are provided through Atlantic Medical Group and are on staff at Goryeb Children’s Hospital.
Additional neuromuscular disorder services include:
- Electromyography (EMG) or nerve conduction studies
- Muscle biopsy
- Nerve biopsy
- Skin biopsy
- Genetic testing and counseling
- Access to groundbreaking clinical trials
Atlantic Health Children’s Specialty Center at Morristown
Atlantic Health Children’s Specialty Center at Overlook
Division of Child Neurology and Developmental Medicine
Medical Arts Center (MAC) II Building
11 Overlook Road, Suite 230
Summit, NJ 07901
- Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm
- Medical Arts Center (MAC) II Building
Atlantic Health Children’s Specialty Center at Wayne
Atlantic Health Children’s Specialty Center at Flemington
Request More Information
Please use the form to request more information.
All fields are required.
Please note that this form is for North American residents only.