Undiagnosed heart conditions in seemingly healthy individuals can result in sudden death during exercise or sports competitions. To meet the needs of athletes and children of all ages in our community, Atlantic Health System offers sports cardiology services that identifies potentially lethal heart problems, while establishing safe levels of physical activity.
Our sports cardiologists are experts in diagnosing cardiovascular symptoms caused by both genetic and acquired heart conditions.
Services are individualized to each patient and include:
- Comprehensive physical exam and assessment of history
- Electrocardiogram (ECG), if necessary – assesses the heart’s electrical activity
- Cardiopulmonary exercise testing or VO2 max study – evaluates aerobic endurance through oxygen uptake
- Cardiovascular imaging – produces 3-D images of the heart using non-invasive technology, like echocardiogram, computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Stress tests – identifies potential conditions that may decrease blood flow to the heart muscle
- Education on symptom management and appropriate activity levels
- Genetic testing
- Exercise recommendations
Athletes on all levels – recreational, high school, collegiate and professional - may benefit from our program.