Chilton Medical Center
Morristown Medical Center
Newton Medical Center
Overlook Medical Center
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a condition that makes it progressively harder to breathe. It manifests as either chronic bronchitis or emphysema and is often the result of smoking. Symptoms may include cough, shortness of breath, wheezing and recurrent respiratory tract infections.
Our pulmonary experts are trained to identify COPD in its earliest stages, so that appropriate treatment can begin sooner, improving long-term outcomes.
COPD Diagnostic Tests
- Pulmonary function testing, or spirometry
- Arterial blood gas testing
- Six-minute walk tests or cardio-pulmonary stress test
- Comprehensive physical examinations
- Chest X-ray, computed tomography (CT) scan and other imaging studies
COPD Treatment Options
- Medications, including anti-inflammatories, steroids and bronchodilators or inhalers
- Supplemental oxygen
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Zephyr Valve noninvasive procedure to increase lung function for qualifying cases
- Surgery, including volume reduction procedures and lung transplantation for severe cases
- Smoking cessation and lifestyle changes
Home Care Services for COPD
Atlantic Home Care provides COPD management services in the comfort of patients’ homes, so they can prevent or postpone hospitalizations. The program’s home health aides use TeleHealth technology to monitor each patient's status on a daily basis and based on results, will recommend medications, exercises or lifestyle changes to minimize COPD symptoms.