Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) is interfaith professional education for spiritual care. It brings laypersons, theological students and clergy of all faiths into supervised encounters with people in crisis. Out of an intense involvement with persons in need, and the feedback from peers and educators, students develop new awareness of themselves and of the needs of those to whom they serve. From theological reflection on specific pastoral encounters, they gain a new understanding of the value and depth of spiritual care. Our programs at Overlook and Morristown medical centers provide a space for the development of skills in interpersonal and interprofessional relationships.
Clinical Pastoral Education serves as a part of one's preparation for parish ministry, chaplaincy, lay ministry, and life in general. Each semester provides students with an opportunity to craft individualized focus on their personal and professional growth and learning. Some students enroll in four units in order to become board certified chaplains. Others enroll in a unit as a requirement by their theological schools and degrees. Some can take courses for credit at their schools or as a discernment of a new path.
Our residents and interns are integrated into the interdisciplinary team in a safe and supportive learning environment. Students will have firsthand experience to offer spiritual care to patients and their loved ones in a variety of specialties. This includes palliative care, cardiology, oncology, orthopedics, emergency and trauma care, pediatrics, behavioral health, intensive care units, labor and delivery, rehabilitation, geriatrics, outpatient services and chronic illnesses.
CPE at Overlook Medical Center
Overlook Medical Center offers Level l and Level ll extended units and a summer intensive unit. Our interfaith, graduate level professional education is an unpaid internship that consists of 400 hours of supervised learning, including a minimum of 300 hours of direct patient care and 100 hours of education. Chaplains participate in the Spiritual Care Department's 24 hour/7 day-a-week on-call coverage. Overlook is also accredited for CEC education.
The Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE) is nationally recognized as an accrediting agency in the field of clinical pastoral education by the U.S. Secretary of Education through the U.S. Department of Education.
CPE at Morristown Medical Center
The Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) Program at Morristown Medical Center integrates residents and interns into an interdisciplinary team in a safe and supportive learning environment. Students will have firsthand experience to offer spiritual care to patients and their loved ones in a variety of specialties, including palliative care, cardiology, oncology, orthopedics, emergency and trauma care, pediatrics, behavioral health, intensive care units, labor and delivery, and more. The MMC CPE program provides Level 1/Level 2 CPE.
This full-time program begins in late August and ends in early September of the following year. Three 8-hour shifts visiting patients, one education day and one overnight make up the weekly schedule for our residents. The program includes group educational seminars, individual supervision, and clinical assignments.
Residency Program (August 26, 2024-August 29, 2024)
Residents receive 3 CPE units.
This is a salaried position that includes competitive benefits, paid time off, and sick time.
Summer Intensive Unit (May 28, 2024 - August 9, 2024)
- Weekly educational seminars
- Weekly individual supervision
- Full-time clinical hours
- Participation in 24/7 call rotation
32-Week Extended Unit (September 9, 2024 - April 25, 2025)
- Class day: Tuesdays 1:00pm-4:00pm
- Bi-weekly individual supervision
- Part-time clinical hours
- Participation in 24/7 call rotation
Tuition & Fees
- There is no application fee at this time.
- Residency tuition: $1000 per unit
- Internship tuition: $1000 per unit
- Tuition is due at the beginning of the program. Scholarships are available.
- There is no application deadline. Interviews will be scheduled as space is available in the program and admissions will occur on a rolling basis.
- To apply to the either program, please complete an application > and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For any questions about the application process, email email@example.com or call >
- Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc.
- Association of Professional Chaplains
- National Association of Catholic Chaplains
- National Association of Jewish Chaplains