Chilton, Hackettstown, Morristown, Newton and Overlook medical centers are recipients of the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines® Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award with Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite Plus.
The fifth leading cause of death in the United States, stroke is one of the most common neurological diseases, affecting millions of people and their families. It occurs when when blood supply to the brain is interrupted due to a blood clot or when there is bleeding in the brain. A stroke can alter the way you communicate, move around and function socially.
Types of Stroke:
- Hemorrhagic stroke (cerebral hemorrhage) – bleeding into the brain which occurs when a blood vessel to the brain ruptures
- Ischemic stroke – blood flow is blocked by:
- a narrowed or closed artery (cerebral thrombosis)
- a blood clot (cerebral embolism) – a small part of an artery wall, or a small blood clot from a diseased artery, the heart, or elsewhere, travels to the brain
- Ruptured cerebral aneurysm (subarachnoid hemorrhage)
- Ruptured abnormal blood vessel (arteriovenous malformation or cavernous angioma)
Additional Stroke Educational Resources:
Morristown Medical Center
100 Madison Avenue
Morristown, NJ 07960
- Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm
- Emergency Contact: In a medical emergency, please call 911.
- 100 Madison Avenue
Overlook Medical Center
Newton Medical Center
Chilton Medical Center
Hackettstown Medical Center
651 Willow Grove Street
Hackettstown, NJ 07840
- Monday through Friday, 10:00am to 2:00pm
- 651 Willow Grove Street