Choosing an obstetrician or midwife is one of the most important decisions you’ll make. Ask your family doctor, friends and co-workers for recommendations, and check with the hospital where you’d like to deliver to see who’s on staff there.
For a physician or midwife referral, visit Atlantic Health System’s Find a Doctor or contact the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
When selecting an obstetrician or midwife, consider:
- How much time does the provider set aside for each prenatal visit
- How long is the average wait time in the office?
- Are there other providers in the practice? If so, how many?
- Will you meet the other providers?
- Who will provide backup if the provider is unable to attend the birth?
- Can you reach the provider or the office at any time, day or night?
- How are routine phone calls between visits handled?
- How are fees and payment handled?
- Is the provider's office convenient to your home and/or work?
- Is the provider covered by your medical insurance plan, if you have one?
Be sure to interview more than one obstetrician or midwife. You’ll also want to think about where you’d like to give birth, and what kind of equipment, such as a birthing tub, you would like to use. Also consider whether you want to use medication or some other form of pain management. Be sure the obstetrician or midwife you choose is covered by your insurance plan and is affiliated with a hospital that can accommodate your birth plan.
Chilton Medical Center
Morristown Medical Center
100 Madison Avenue
Morristown, NJ 07960
- To register: 973-971-5732
- 100 Madison Avenue
Newton Medical Center
Overlook Medical Center
99 Beauvoir Avenue
Summit, NJ 07901
- To register: 908-522-2304
- 99 Beauvoir Avenue
Request More Information
Please use the form to request more information.
All fields are required.
Please note that this form is for North American residents only.