The aging process brings on physical and lifestyle changes that can cause some seniors to struggle with issues such as depression, anxiety, grief and loss, negative self-image, cognitive impairment and other mental health issues which impair functioning. These resources are available to help older adults and caregivers managing lifelong mental illnesses or addressing new behavioral health issues:
- Aging & Disability Resource Connection of New Jersey (ADRC)
- Atlantic Behavioral Health
Atlantic Behavioral Health offers geropsychiatric services tailored to meet the needs of older adults who are facing or at risk of cognitive or mood disorders, such as psychosis, depression, dementia, anxiety or delirium.
- Carrier Clinic
Belle Mead, NJ
Specializes in inpatient psychiatric treatment for patients 60 years of age or older who are experiencing psychiatric illness or behavioral disturbances from Alzheimer's disease and other dementias
- Christian Health Care Center
- Family Connections – Senior Connections Program
For Essex County residents
- Geriatric Mental Health Foundation (GMHF)
- Jewish Family Service of MetroWest NJ
For residents of Morris, Essex and Hudson counties
973-765-9050 - Florham Park
973-740-1233 – Livingston
- Jewish Family Service of Somerset, Hunterdon and Warren Counties
- Medicare Provider Directory
- Mental Health Association of New Jersey
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Call 988 for 24-hour confidential support for those in suicidal crisis or emotional distress
- New Bridge – Senior Assistance for Independent Living (SAIL)
For Morris and Passaic county residents who are 60 years of age and older
- New Jersey Self Help Clearinghouse
- Richard Hall Community Mental Health Center – Outpatient Older Adult Services
- State of New Jersey – Division of Mental Health Services
24-hour suicide prevention line: 1-855-654-6735
- Wellness Initiative for Senior Education (WISE) Program
- Family Guidance Center of Warren County
492 Route 57 West, Washington, NJ 07882
- Jewish Family Service and Children’s Center of Clifton-Passaic
- Mental Health Association of Essex and Morris
Free in-home counseling for Morris County seniors 60+ living with depression, anxiety, loneliness, isolation, loss, etc. The person must have difficulty getting to alternative services in the community.
- Catholic Social Services of the Diocese of Scranton – Milford Office
The Counseling department at Catholic Social Services provides counseling services to address a variety of needs in the community.
- Alcoholics Anonymous | Northern NJ AA (24/7)
908-687-8566 or 800-245-1377
- Council on Compulsive Gambling of NJ (24/7)
The Council on Compulsive Gambling of New Jersey, Inc. is a non-profit organization that provides information, education and referral services for people affected by a gambling problem.
Free Confidential Hotline 1-800-426-2537
Grief and Bereavement Support
Reaching out to others is often very difficult when we’re struggling with grief, but experience teaches us that the more support and understanding we have around us, the better we will cope. Below are some resources to help with finding ways to heal after the loss of a loved one.
Atlantic Visiting Nurse – Hospice Bereavement Groups
Atlantic Visiting Nurse offers several types of bereavement groups to the community, including those for spouses and adult children who have lost a parent. For more information about schedule and locations, contact the Bereavement Coordinator at 973-379-8442
The Compassionate Friends
Offers supportive services to bereaved parents, grandparents, and siblings after the death of a child of any age. Also manages an online support community.
877-969-0010 or 630-990-0010
My Grief Angels is an online grief support community that provides information, education and grief forums for all types of loss. Offers an online directory of internet, local, national and international resources.
Pet Loss Support Group – St. Hubert’s Animal Welfare Center
The death of a beloved pet, the difficult decision of euthanasia, the daily reality that your companion is no longer around are the heartaches faced as a pet guardian/owner. St. Hubert’s offers free support group sessions facilitated by two professional counselors. For more information and to register, call 973-377-7094.
Geriatric Assessment Center
David and Joan Powell Center for Healthy Aging
Morristown Medical Center Outpatient Medicine
435 South Street
Morristown, NJ 07960
- Email Us
- Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm
- Morristown Medical Center Outpatient Medicine