Anyone can fall victim to a scam, but seniors are particularly at risk for being targeted because they are more likely to have financial resources, own property and have excellent credit. There are many types of scams, but these general tips can help keep you safe from fraud.
General tips for avoiding scams:
- If an offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Be cautious of telemarketing calls, door-to-door salespersons, or even a “new friend” who may be asking for personal information.
- Keep information private regarding bank accounts, insurance, social security and any other personal information.
- Regularly review credit reports, Medicare and insurance statements to check for errors or fraudulent activity.
- Shred all bills, junk mail and receipts that may have personal information on them.
- Never be afraid to tell someone if you think you’ve been a victim of fraud – by reporting it to authorities, you will not only possibly help yourself, but you may help protect a future victim.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation - Senior Fraud Information
The FBI offers tips on how you can protect yourself and your family from fraud, as well as information about current scams.
11 Centre Place, Newark, NJ 07102 – (NJ office)
- Identity Theft Resource Center
Center provides no-charge assistance to victims of identity theft.
- NJ Division of Consumer Affairs – Senior Fraud Education & Protection Program
Program offers information and a toolkit for seniors to help protect them from scams. Division also handles reports about suspected fraud regarding NJ businesses and professionals.
- Senior Medicare Patrol
Senior Medicare Patrol can help provide consumer counseling and advocacy to resolve billing errors and disputes or make referrals to law enforcement for suspected cases of Medicare fraud, waste or abuse.
Geriatric Assessment Center
David and Joan Powell Center for Healthy Aging
Morristown Medical Center Outpatient Medicine
435 South Street
Morristown, NJ 07960
- Email Us
- Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm
- Morristown Medical Center Outpatient Medicine