Lymphedema is a chronic condition characterized by fluid retention and tissue swelling. It can be caused by a congenital abnormality or as a result of cancer treatment and surgery.
At Atlantic Rehabilitation, our certified therapists provide lymphedema rehabilitation services designed to reduce inflammation, enhance flexibility and strength, and improve skin texture and wound healing.
Lymphedema management may include:
- Initial assessment – a physical therapist considers the patient’s symptoms, medical needs and lifestyle to determine the most appropriate and effective therapy
- Bioelectrical impedance analysis – provides baseline measurements and helps identify lymphedema in earlier stages
- Manual lymphatic drainage – gentle massage techniques designed to stimulate lymphatic vessels and promote the flow of lymph fluid
- Multi-layer bandaging – reduces swelling and promotes healthier skin
- Therapeutic exercises – improves lymph drainage through a series of flexibility, strength and aerobic activities
- Compression garments – a support garment is custom fitted to each patient to help maintain the reduction of swelling
- Education – patients learn proper skin care and how to manage their symptoms at home
- Follow-up care – progress is regularly monitored to ensure management of symptoms
The SOZO Device
- Fluid analysis device for presurgical baseline measures and post-operative monitoring
- Detects upper and lower extremity lymphedema in its subclinical stage
- Allows for early detection, intervention and improved results
- SOZO is available at the following Atlantic Rehabilitation locations: Cedar Knolls, New Providence and Pompton Plains
Follow these steps to get started:
- Obtain a written prescription for lymphedema therapy from your physician
- Call Atlantic Rehabilitation to schedule a lymphedema assessment
- Contact your insurance company to determine your benefits; we will be happy to assist with any necessary paperwork
- Once you have scheduled an appointment with us, an information packet will be mailed to you; we recommend that you review this packet prior to your first visit
Atlantic Health Pavilion – Pompton Plains
Atlantic Rehabilitation – Cedar Knolls
Hackettstown Medical Center
651 Willow Grove Street
Hackettstown, NJ 07840
- Monday through Thursday, 7:45am to 7:00pm, and Friday, 7:00am to 4:30pm.
- 651 Willow Grove Street
Atlantic Rehabilitation – New Providence
Newton Medical Center
Request More Information
Please use the form to request more information.
All fields are required.
Please note that this form is for North American residents only.