The pelvic floor provides support for abdominal organs, maintains urinary and fecal continence and allows for sexual function. When these muscles stop functioning properly, it can be a source of pain and embarrassment for both men and women.
At Atlantic Rehabilitation, we offer a specialized program to treat the muscle spasms and weakness that often accompanies pelvic floor dysfunction. Patients that may benefit from pelvic floor physical therapy include those with bladder conditions, such as urethral syndrome, urgency-frequency syndrome, urinary incontinence, urinary retention and interstitial cyst, as well as those with bowel conditions, such as constipation, fecal urgency and retention, frequent movements and incomplete emptying.
Our pelvic floor physical therapy services include:
- Evaluation – assesses the strength, flexibility and tone of the pelvic floor, abdominal, back and hip muscles
- Exercise – focuses on muscle awareness, retraining and coordination
- Manual therapy – addresses muscle pain and spasms
- Pain control – uses cold therapy, moist heat therapy, ultrasound and electrotherapy
- Biofeedback – helps normalize the resting tone of the pelvic floor muscles
- Electrical stimulation and transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation – improves muscle tone while preventing abnormal bladder contractions and pain
- Education – teaches self-management strategies and relaxation techniques, as well as bladder and bowel training
Our physical therapists are board-certified clinical specialists and have received specialized training in pelvic floor dysfunction. They understand the sensitive nature of this condition and above all else, treat our patients with dignity and respect.
Newton Medical Center
Atlantic Health Pavilion – Pompton Plains
Atlantic Rehabilitation – Cedar Knolls
6 Saddle Road
Cedar Knolls, NJ 07927
- Monday through Thursday, 7:00am to 7:00pm, and Friday, 7:00am to 5:00pm.
- Adult physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and audiology, as well as pediatric audiology, are available at this location. Fax: 973-290-7629
- Request an Appointment Now
- 6 Saddle Road
New Providence Campus
Request an Appointment Now
Your next physical therapy session is just a click away. Request an appointment at select Atlantic Rehabilitation locations using our online scheduling service.
Atlantic Health System’s Division of Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery specializes in improving the quality of life for women with pelvic floor disorders.